Friends We'll Always Bee


This card was made as a Design Team inspiration card for Double Trouble Challenge Blog #61, which is a tic-tac-toe challenge where I chose the center horizontal row of "insects - flowers - woodgrain".  Thing 3's part of the challenge is to use "Bling-Pears/Sequins", and Thing 2 asks us to also participate in our partner's Cupcake Inspiration #497 Challenge whose theme is flowers and pearls/sequins.



Image may contain: food

I had bought some really cute hand painted wooden bees on Amazon a couple months ago, and knowing Amazon, you can imagine how many came in a bag (100!). So when I saw "insects" on the challenge, my mind immediately turned to my colony of bees  So, when you think of bees, you think of "flowers"! All that left me was "woodgrain". So I pulled out my Stampin' Up! (SU) "Little Ladybug" stamp set for the flower, which I stamped using Memento ink on to SU Shimmery White cardstock. I used Wink of Stella to add even more shine and shimmer to the flower petals, and colored the stem and leaves with a green Copic marker.

Those little bees are 5mm thick, so used my stitched rectangle dies to die cut 3 frames so the bees had enough room to move about. These three were glued atop one another, then I used SU Cinnamon Cider ink and a craft sponge to color both the inside and outside edges of the foam to match the cardstock.

Using really strong double-sided tape, I attached the acetate window piece to the top of the stack, then attached the frame I had die cut using two rectangle dies on top of the acetate. Before I attached the frame, I used SU Crumb Cake ink to stamp the SU "Hardwood" pattern on top of the frame and the card base so they could be aligned when I assembled the card.

After the flower was glued to the card base, I place 10 bees inside, then glued the assembled window frame on top to keep the bees contained. The finishing touch was to take a scrap of the shimmery white paper and stamp a sentiment from my 1997 SU "Bees N" Blossoms" stamp set with black ink. I then die cut the sentiment out with the SU "Stitched Nested Labels". The sentiment piece was attached to the front of the card using Scor-Tape.

I am rating the difficulty of this card as a 2 since it requires just basic card making skills,,, but a LOT of them (shaker card, fussy cutting, stacking die cut foam, etc).

Stamps: SU Little Ladybug, Hardwood, Bees N' Blossoms
Paper: SU Shimmery White Cardstock, SU Cinnamon Cider, SU Acetate Windows
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic Markers Y17, YG25, Wink of Stella GL Clear Brush (999), SU Crumb Cake
Accessories: SU Rectangle Stitched Framelits Dies, SU Stitched Nested Labels Dies, Handpainted Wooden Bees, Jolee's Pearls, Craft Foam, Big Shot, Paper Scissors, Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, SU Stamparatus, Scor-Tape, Craft Sponge
Techniques: Shaker Card, Die Cutting, Fussy Cutting

Comments

  1. I love these little bees - and can imagine how thick the shaker has to be to accommodate them. The stitched border is a great choice for your card :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little bees are absolutely adorable! I love how the wood frame is the same as the card panel too. This is such a cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I really love the adorable bees. Thank you for joining us at Cupcake Inspirations - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. So darn cute...love all your sweet little bees!!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Cupcakes Inspirations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment