I love this little girl from Stampin' Up! (SU) 1999 "Kids at Play" stamp set! She is so free spirited and happy. I stamped her on a piece of white cardstock using Copic-friendly black ink, then hand colored her with Copic markers. I then stamped her again on a sticky-backed masking film, and fussy cut the film so I could lay it over her lower body to keep the skateboard from stamping on top of her. I stamped the skateboard in the same black ink, then removed the masking film. I then hand colored her skateboard a bright red. Since I'm not terrific at fussy cutting, I used my ScanNCut to cut her and her skateboard out leaving a 0.04" white margin around her. I cut two additional "blank" outlines of the girl on her skateboard, and glued these to the back of the image to add dimension.
Since the theme of the challenge included the color red, I wanted the red card base to really stand out. So, I used a stitched rectangle die that was 3-5/8"x 4-3/4" to cut the main panel.
The "sidewalk" was created by inking the inside front of the embossing folder with reddish brown ink, then embossing a piece of craft cardstock. I then selectively cut "bricks" out of the long edges of the sidewalk with paper snips to make it look more rustic.
I used 2 hilly stitched dies to cut two different shaped hills from the same craft cardstock for the background.
I started assembly of the card by gluing the top hill down first a little higher than the center of the card, then glued down the lower hill on top of that. Finally, the sidewalk was glued over the top of the lower hill.
The little girl was glued to the card front at a tilt to give the feeling of motion, and that she wasn't just doing easy downhill rides, but tougher uphill ones as well! She looked a little "lonely" so I die cut trees using the SU "Card Front Builder" dies, and put a dab of glue on each before tucking them behind the hills.
The final step was to stamp the birthday sentiment on a piece of what cardstock using red ink, then die cutting it with a small stitched rectangle die. I wanted the sentiment piece to also stand up above the main card surface, so cut a rectangle of craft foam to glue behind it before attaching to the card.
I am rating the difficulty level of this card as a "3" out of a possible "5" just because of all the steps it takes to create it. No particular step was really difficult, but combined together, it takes several techniques and patience. I have granddaughters who are all a bit on the daredevil side, so this will be perfect for one of them!!!
|Stamps: SU Kids at Play, Bonanza Buddies|
|Paper: SU Real Red, Kraft, Whisper White, Old Olive|
|Paper Size: A2|
|Ink: SU Real Red, Cajun Craze, Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic Markers B01, BG13, E00, E01, E04, E13, E15, R22, R24, R27|
|Accessories: SU Rectangles Stitched Framelit Die, SU Card Front Builder Thinlits Dies, Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside Borders Dies, SU Mosaic 3D Embossing Folder, Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, Paper Snips, Masking Film, Brother ScanNCut CM350, Craft Foam|
|Techniques: Die Cutting, Digital Cutting, Embossing, Fussy Cutting, Masking|