A Busy Summer Day


This card is a Design Team card for Try Stampin' on Tuesday Sketch Challenge #419 with the added optional challenge "embossing".

I started out looking for embossing folders in my collection that would go together. I chose a large honeycomb pattern, and the smaller Stampin' Up! (SU) "Scattered Sequins" which looked like smaller honeycombs to me. I had a great honey bee stamp in my SU "Dragonfly Dreams" stamp set, so it all came together quickly!

My card base is SU Elegant Eggplant cardstock, with an embossed panel of SU Hello Honey for the central piece. It's hard to see in the photo, but I cut out the panel using SU stitched rectangle dies. The honeycomb pattern was squished a bit when I ran it through to do the stitched edging, so I re-ran the panel thru my Big Shot inside the honeycomb folder a second time.

The 2" square purple diamond panel was cut out using the largest square in the SU "Stitched Shapes" die set. This small purple panel was glued directly onto the golden honeycomb using Tombow. 

The smaller 1-3/4" square was cut from white cardstock, then run through the SU "Scattered Sequins" embossing folder to create the comb-like pattern. This piece was attached over the purple square using adhesive foam strips.

The bee was created by stamping it with Versamark ink, then covering with black embossing powder and heat set. I tried something a little different this time when I used the heat tool... instead of heating from the front where the hot air can sometimes blow some of your embossing powder away during the melting process,,, I did all the heat from the BACK of the paper. I'm pleased with the results, so I may do it this way all the time in the future. I used my Brother digital cutter to cut out the bee with a 0.04" white border, then hand colored him with an SU Hello Honey Stampin' Write marker. His wings I put random splashes of color using an SU Bliss Blue marker, then covered the wings with Ranger Glossy Accents liquid to make them appear shiny and spread the blue color a little more uniformly.

The final step was to create the flowers the bee is check out as he flies by. These were stamped with Memento black ink using the SU "Language of Friendship" set, then hand colored using yellow and purple Copic markers. They were also cut out by scanning them with my Brother, then cutting them out with a 0.04" border. The green leaves were from the same stamp set, but were colored with an SU Green Galore Stampin' Write marker. The center of the flowers are pearls that have been colored using Copic markers. The flowers and and leaves were glued together, then mounted below the white square using adhesive foam strips.

At some future date I may add a banner at the bottom with a birthday or thinking of you sentiment.

I am rating the difficulty of this card as a "2" out of a possible "5". Doing the embossing with the folders and heat tool were pretty straightforward. The flower coloring was pretty basic as well. Just lots of steps.

Stamps: SU Dragonfly Dreams, Language of Friendship
Paper: SU Elegant Eggplant, Hello Honey, Whisper White
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Copics Y17, Y21, Y35, YG4, E04, V04, V20, V22, SU Summer Sun, Green Galore & Bliss Blue Stampin' Write Markers, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: SU Rectangle Stitched Framelits Dies, Stitched Shapes, SU Scattered Sequins Embossing Folder, Darice Honeycomb Embossing Folder, Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, Adhesive Foam Strips, Ranger Glossy Accents, SU Pearls, Brother Scan N Cut 2 (CM350), Black Embossing Powder
Techniques: Embossing, Heat Embossing, Die Cutting

Comments

  1. super sweet card Donna, congrats!
    i like the bee stamp whith so mini details
    hugs from Chile

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment