A BIG Birthday Wish


This card was made as a Design Team card for Try Stampin' on Tuesday Challenge #389 with the optional theme of "birthday card".
The main front panel is a 4"x 5.25" piece of SU Garden Green cardstock that I ran through my Big Shot inside the SU "Petal Burst" embossing folder. Before doing so, I pressed my SU Wild Wasabi ink pad on the inside of the embossing folder (the side with the Sizzix lettering on the front). This accentuated the petals with a darker surrounding each one.

Since the sketch calls for an oval as a center point, I used one of the larger SU "Stitched Shapes" oval dies to cut from SU Wild Wasabi cardstock.

I had heard that the Stampin' Up! (SU) new "Animal Friends" dies could be used on some of the matching "Animal Expeditions" Designer Series Paper, so I thought I would try it out. The sketch just seemed to scream a long-neck giraffe to me, so I used that die, and the frog on a limb die to cut them from one of the sheets of pattern paper. I wanted the limb to stand out from the giraffe, so I also used the limb die to cut a piece of green fun foam. I then glued the die cut paper to the foam. I glued the giraffe directly to the oval, then glued the foam-backed limb over the top of the giraffe.

The sketch called for a "flag" on either side of the oval, so I used the leafy branch from the SU "Animal Friends" die set to cut two. Then I used the smallest SU "Banners" die to cut around the leafy branch. I tucked these behind the oval before mounting the oval on the card front using adhesive foam strips.

The sentiment banner outline stamp is from the SU "Birthday Banners" stamp set. I used the sentiment from the same set inked with SU Crushed Curry to stamp inside the banner. Since I don't yet have the banner dies, I fussy cut the banner out using paper snips.

Finally, I mounted the sentiment banner on the lower half of the card front using adhesive foam strips to raise it up to the same height as the oval.

I think this will be a fun card to give to one of my grandchildren! 

I am rating the difficulty level as a "2" out of a possible "5" because of all the steps required. No single step was hard, though.

Comments