Birthday Flower Piecing on Watercolor Tissue


Stamps: SU Flower Patch, Seasonal Snapshot Project Life Accessory Pack
Paper: Whisper White, Wild Wasabi, Melon Mambo, Blushing Bride, Hello Honey, White Tissue Paper
Paper Size: A2
Ink: SU Pacific Point, Garden Green, Hello Honey
Accessories: SU Flower Fair Framelits Dies, Xyron Label Maker, Scotch Tape, Adhesive Foam Strips, Paper Snips
Techniques: Tissue Paper Watercolor, Paper Piecing

This card was made for Try Stampin' on Tuesday Sketch Challenge #358: http://trystampinontuesday.blogspot.com/ with an optional theme of "flower power".


The background was created using the Tissue Paper Watercolor technique (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/r...erwatercolor/). You simply press your ink pads to a non-porus surface, then spritz with water, smear it around, then lay white tissue paper on top of the ink pool. Let it dry for 30 minutes on a piece of paper towel, then adhere the tissue to a piece of white cardstock.

Since I knew I wanted to feature flowers in a garden background, I chose green, blue and yellow ink to create the tissue paper background. After the tissue paper dried, I adhered it to a piece of Whisper White cardstock using my Xyron label maker.

The next step was to create my three flowers, which I stamped onto Whisper White cardstock using the Stampin' Up! "Flower Patch" stamp set. I made two of the flowers Blushing Bride pink with Melon Mambo centers, then the third flower was Melon Mambo with a Hello Honey center. All three were die cut out using the matching SU Flower Fair Framelits Dies.

I then positioned the flowers onto the green/blue/yellow tissue panel to approximate where I wanted them to be, then used the same flower die to cut the openings where I wanted the two light pink blossoms to go.

I then used the "paper piecing" technique to embed the flowers flush into the tissue panel. To hold the flowers in place, I used Scotch tape across the back of each blossom.

The darker pink blossom was not pieced into the the card front, but instead mounted using Adhesive Foam Strips to give the card some depth.

The sentiment was from the retired 2014 Stampin' Up! "Seasonal Snapshot Project Life Accessory Pack". It was stamped onto a scrap of Hello Honey cardstock, and a "flag" tip cut using paper snips. This element was then adhered to the card front using adhesive foam strips to raise it to the same height above the card front as the center pink flower.

While the card required several steps and two different techniques, none of them were difficult. So I am rating it as a difficulty level "3" out of a possible "5".

Comments