'Tis The Season



Stamps: SU Merry Patterns
Paper: SU Garden Green, Real Red, Whisper White, Nordic Noel DSP
Paper Size: A2
Ink: SU Real Red, Garden Green, Versafine Onyx Black
Accessories: SU Layering Ovals Framelits, Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, Adhesive Foam Strips, MISTI
Techniques: Layering, Multi-Stamping

This card was made for Try Stampin' -Or Not- on Tuesday sketch challenge #347: http://trystampinontuesday.blogspot.com/ with the optional theme "How Sweet It Is".

The Stampin' Up! Merry Patterns stamp set offers so many possibilities! This was the first time I had used it, and BANG! -- I'm in love!

The stamp set requires LOTS of careful multi-step stamping, so my MISTI was indispensable! If it's a different color, then it's another multi-stamp step! 

I first created the main panel layer on my Garden Green card base by cutting a piece of the yummy candy cane stripes (the "sweet" part of this card) from the SU Nordic Noel Designer Series Paper set. I made that panel to be about 2/3 of the front. The bottom of the front is SU Real Red cardstock. These were attached to the card base using Tombow glue.

The sentiment panel was stamped first with Versafine Black Onyx ink to imprint the script text and outline of "season" on Whisper White cardstock. Then using my MISTI, I stamped the "season" again with SU Real Red ink. I then cut out the sentiment so that it left room on the front for the candle ovals later. This sentiment panel was matted with Garden Green cardstock and attached to the front using Adhesive Foam Strips.

The next step was the hardest since the candles required FOUR layered stamps! I'll admit it took me three attempts to get them all aligned properly. The black stamp and flame outline was first stamped with Versafine Black Onyx, then the red candles were on the second stamp, green candles the third, and the little yellow flames the fourth and final stamp. The secret is to NOT PRESS DOWN too hard so that blank spaces between the flames, candles, etc don't get inked onto the cardstock. Of course alignment of the four stamps was also tongue-biting as well :-)

I used the SU Layering Ovals Framelits Dies to cut out the candles (second from the largest in the set), and then matted the white oval with a Real Red oval cut out using the largest oval die in the set.

The candles oval was glued to the Real Red mat using Tombow glue. The matted candles were then attached to the card front using Adhesive Foam Strips. Note that since the oval will overlap the sentiment element (which is already raised up using Adhesive Foam Strips), you only have to attach the strips to the back of the oval on the top and right edges. The rest will sit on top of the already raised-up sentiment panel. For extra caution, I put a small Mini Glue Dot under the candle oval that overlapped the sentiment to ensure it stayed in place.

This card wasn't really hard, but required patience when stamping the multiple layers to ensure they lined up correctly, and didn't put ink on the cardstock "in between" the stamps' elements.

Comments